2 Corinthians 4:16
So we're not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. There's far more here than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can't see now will last forever.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Who needs hair? I DO.

I think this is a little weirder than I thought it was going to be. I feel like everyone is looking at me thinking, "why did this girl shave her head?" I know it is all in my head but it is really annoying to always feel like someone is looking at you.
I decided to shave my head because it was coming out in clumps. I dont think I touched or washed it for like 3 days to avoid the inevitable. I know that is gross but it still looked fine in a ponytail. So thursday was the day. It was about time. I thought it would be good to have Ian there to see mommy getting her haircut and not just walk out looking like daddy :-)  I thought it might be traumatic for him. He didn't care. He got into my bathtub, turned on the water and decided to play in there with 2 bars of soap. Oh and did I mention he still had his clothes on.  He asked for all his sea animals so we got those for him. He had the best time while I am sitting in the chair taking a scissor to my hair getting ready to shave it all off. And there it went. It is gone. Just like that. It didnt look as bad as I thought it would. I know people have said it but I did feel a little like GI Jane. Looking at myself in the mirror in a sports bra really made me feel tough. I had the control over my hair and that meant a lot to me. I like my hats, I don't have a weird head, I can do this. Or can I? I forgot this is not how it is going to stay. It is still falling out and now i just have bald spots. The right side of my head looks so weird right now because that is the side I sleep on mostly. So back to the chair and off it ALL came. I cried really hard this time. I didnt want Chuck to touch it. This time it was real. Not a cute haircut but a bald cancer patient. I kind of feel like a shell of the woman that I once was and the woman Chuck married. But he is amazing. He makes me feel beautiful. I dont want him to look at me and he looks at me like I am the most beautiful woman in the world. There is no difference in his eyes from the day we got married. I have to remember I am doing this for him. I am doing this for Ian, and if they dont care what I look like then why should I. SO here I sit, bald, scarred, sick but on my way to health. On my way to life. It has even been hard to talk to God but I know He is there. I know that He is still whispering in my ear even when I am screaming in His face. I will trust Him. I will fight the urge to give up, because I know that He has more for me than being just a bald girl with breast cancer.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, this one really got to me. I'm sure it must be hard. I just read a story in People about another lady going through it and the mastectomy was the hardest part for her. I was just looking at old pics of you today and was thinking that you looked more beautiful with the short hair. I'm sorry the second shaving was more difficult. It had to be hard but again, I'm sure you are more beautiful than ever (whether you believe it or not LOL). Chuck and Ian love you no matter what you look like as do the rest of us. You are still our beautiful Jilly! and always my hero, my motivation and most of all, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love you and am so thankful to have you as my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jill, jill, jill...you are a tender warrior. thanks for sharing all of that. we are praying praying praying...God does have more for you, but sometimes the here and now seems like too much to get to the more. you will do it. andrew and i pray and cry out to God for you. we love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog gave me flashbacks to when I was 13 and had to wear an ugly brace for scoliosis. For a whole year I felt so self conscious and that everyone was staring at me. It took me several years of maturity in school to get over all that. I wish that I had had half as much faith in God at that time as you do now. Praise God for all of the love and support you have from Chuck and Ian. We love you!

    ReplyDelete