2 Corinthians 4:16
So we're not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. There's far more here than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can't see now will last forever.

Friday, October 22, 2010

At least I know it wont last for 2 weeks

Sorry I have not posted for a while but I am still alive and doing well :-)
I think the last day I wrote was tuesday and  I was still feeling pretty bad. Each day got better. I still was not able to do much because i was nauseous and really worn out but definitely got better.Sleep has been a constant issue so if you are praying, please pray for that. I am not a back sleeper but with the surgery that has been really the only postion my body has allowed me to be in. I just started being able to sleep on my side again so that has helped but it is not the greatest.  I long for a good night sleep. I know I will be there soon. On monday I went and got my blood taken so they could check my white blood count. I was really scared to go because that meant she would have to stab me in my port again and I have not forgotten how that felt. When I got there ( with my friend Jodi holding my hand) I told Julie (the chemo nurse) that I was scared that it was going to hurt again and she said she could take it out of my arm if i wanted. I never thought i would be relieved to hear that sticking me in the arm was the better option. She even used a butterfly needle which is a smaller one so it hurt a lot less. I should be used to all the needles by now but sorry I still need a moment to gather myself before it goes in.  So depending on how it feels on Monday when I have chemo again I might just do this instead of the port on the off weeks. It is one less thing that I feel like I have to worry about.
 On Friday night after chemo I actually got showered and we took Ian to the Balloon Festival here in Winchester. It was a little sad because they didnt blow up the hot air balloons because it was too windy but Ian had a great time jumping on the hay maze, making crafts and picking out a gourd. It was great to be out with my family.  Brandon and Lauren came out to visit and we watched the Yankee game.
On saturday we got out again. We all took Ian to Marker Miller Orchard and went apple picking in the morning. It was a lot of fun. He loves picking apples. It is amazing what i feel like I have missed last week. I really think his vocabulary has doubled since chemo started. I think it is because he was hanging out with my sister-in-law all week.
So Alissa left and I was on my own for the first time in a month. It was really weird to be in my house with no one else around. I think it was a little hard for Ian too. He had constant company and it went to just mommy in the time it took him to wake up from his nap. He was not happy when he woke up. Looking for Alissa, Will and Josh made him very sad. It made me sad too that I was no longer enough for him. He cried for about a half hour. We went downstairs, watched some Finding Nemo and I think that got him back to normal. That has kind of been the routine for him for the last few weeks. After nap he would come and hang out with me and watch some TV. He has been fine and happy with mommy and daddy ever since. :-)
This week has been amazing.  It was the first time since surgery that I didnt feel like a cancer patient. It was so normal. I wake up when Ian starts yelling for apple juice, get him out of bed, feed him breakfast and go on with my day like nothing ever happened. Cook dinner, straighten up the house, put on a load of laundry. Who would have thought i would be able to do this 4 weeks after surgery. I feel blessed to have this week between chemo. I know it will make it easier to get through this knowing that even though there is a week of pain, it is quickly followed by a week of comfort.

2 comments:

  1. Jillian,
    I still admire your courage...I do not think that I could endure what you have gone through so far. All I can think is that the love we get from family and friends helps us.
    I am sending you lots of LOVE and keeping you in my thoughts.
    XXOO
    Merri

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the sleeping...what about getting something like those pillows that you can mold into shapes so you can sleep on an incline, or with your legs bent and supported?

    ReplyDelete